3 Ways To Improve the Appearance of Your Teeth
Improving the appearance of your teeth comes down to three important ways: whitening, straightening, and restoration.
Each of these methods helps you have a more complete smile. In this article, we’ll dig into each of them and see which one you need. Read on!
One of the most embarrassing teeth problems is stained or yellowing teeth. Your teeth can look more stained or yellow the more your outer enamel wears away, which is called enamel erosion.
And although medical teeth whitening procedures are popular, you can also try simple alternatives. Look at the following:
Brushing regularly is a no-brainer. Brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes each time. Make sure you reach into all areas and be thorough.
Be careful, however, with brushing right after consuming acidic foods and drinks. Doing so can lead to enamel erosion.
Brushing with Baking Soda
Brush with a toothpaste made of baking soda and/or hydrogen peroxide to remove plaque buildup and bacteria.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda with 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide.
- Use the mixture as toothpaste.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with water after brushing.
And don’t worry about safety: a 2017 research showed baking soda-based pastes are effective and safe for tooth stain removal and whitening.
Apple Cider Vinegar
You can use apple cider vinegar as a mouthwash in small amounts. To create the mouthwash:
- Mix 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with 6 ounces of water
- Gargle the mixture for 30 seconds
Rinse with water and then brush your teeth.
Keep in mind that the mixture may damage the hardness and surface of your teeth. So, use it with caution and in small amounts.
If you have crooked teeth, you may be even more embarrassed about the appearance of your smile.
If you don’t like using braces, you may search for alternative ways to straighten your teeth. Here are some of them:
- Retainers - if you need only minimum teeth correction, retainers may be a great choice.
- Invisalign - these are discreet, custom made plastic aligners that need weekly switching to gradually straighten that teeth.
Search for more than one service provider for the best teeth correction services if you want to achieve straight teeth.
Restoration: Crowns and Veneers
If you have chipped or missing teeth, you need restoration methods. Crowns and veneers are two such methods you should consider.
- Crown - covers the whole tooth. It can be porcelain, porcelain combined with a metal allow, or an all-metal alloy.
- Veneer - a think layer of porcelain or other materials that bonds to the front of your existing tooth.
If you want crowns, more of your tooth will need grinding and filing. For tooth decays, the dentist will remove part of the tooth before making the crown.
Veneers, on the other hand, leave more of your original tooth intact. The dentist will grind about half a millimeter of your tooth for the veneer to bond with it.
Improving Your Teeth’s Appearance
All of these methods help improve your teeth’s appearance. Most of the time, you must use a combination of them to maintain nice, healthy-looking teeth. And of course, nothing beats the power of proper hygiene and a healthy lifestyle.