Top 5 Dental Tips for a Young Healthy Smile
A healthy smile is something that many people strive for. A healthy smile connotes a healthy person and being healthy can translate to feeling better, more refreshed and having a better quality of life. Moreover, the health of our teeth is directly correlated to our overall heath. Cavities and other periodontal issues can lead to cardiac arrest and stroke if left untreated for a long time. Not only that, but having a bright, white smile can increase your chances of securing a position at a new job, because it can strengthen your confidence and make you feel more motivated and ambitious. Here are the top five dental tips for a young healthy smile.
- Make sure to brush your teeth two to three times a day. It is vital for the health of your teeth and the state of your smile to brush two to three times a day – every day. Not only should you brush in the morning, but also after a big mid-day meal or in the middle of the day. If you can’t brush your teeth during the middle of the day, you might want to keep a small bottle of mouthwash on standby.
- Make sure to floss everyday. You don’t necessarily need to floss twice a day, but after a big meal, especially a big, sugary meal, it is critical to floss. Flossing can remove germs and other detritus that you cannot remove by brushing alone. Not flossing can lead to recessed gums other periodontal issues – not to mention cavities. Also, brushing can reduce the occurrence of bad breath and other issues that can make it hard to have a close conversation with someone. Moreover, if you want to have the confidence to flash your full smile, be sure to floss regularly.
- Make sure to use a straw if you drink soft drinks, coffee or any other beverage that can stain your front teeth. When it comes to having a bright, white smile, it is important to keep the front of your teeth sparkling white. Things like soda and coffee can stain your teeth and can cause embarrassing discoloration. If you are a regular drinker of these beverages, you want to make sure to use mouth wash – just to prevent staining.
- Make sure to reduce or quit your consumption of tobacco products. Smoking and chewing tobacco can cause significant staining. If you want to have a young, healthy smile, it is important that you take measures to reduce your consumption. Tobacco can also cause other, more serious health affects, like gum disease and cancer. Not to mention, you can also increase your risk of lung cancer and a whole host of other medical issues that can be life threatening.
- Make sure to visit a dentist twice a year. Visiting a dentist twice a year can reduce cavities and it can keep your teeth sparkling white. Not only that, but visiting a dentist can also prevent cavities from getting worse. If you have children, you might want to send them to a pediatric dentist, like Pike Dentistry, to promote the idea that having healthy teeth is a priority. At the end of the day, if you want to keep your teeth the brightest and whitest, a dentist will always do a great job.